Wednesday, July 29, 2015

First Day of Preschool ... sort of


Ollie had his first day of preschool today.  Well, kind of.  He came to preschool summer camp with me Tuesday because his daycare was closed. 

 (Sidenote -- that also reminds me that I haven't given an update about his daycare.  Although we loved Lacey and she was wonderful with him, the travel distance wasn't working so we had to break it to her and find somebody new.  As it turns out, she actually gave us notice about not being able to take care of Oliver as she accepted a job at her son's preschool that begins in August.  It worked out just fine and Oliver is now attending daycare in Wamego with a lady named Anna.  It seems to be going well and Riley enjoys not having to drive so much.)

Anyway........ back to the reason for his post.

Ollie came with me to preschool for the day.  He was a little nervous as I explained to him that he had to go to preschool ALL day with a whole slew of little kidlets. 


I explained to him that he would get to spend the whole day with mommy and all the kids would love him.  He decided that he would give it a try. 


Now let me just say that the end of July is when things get a little hairy around the preschool. It's hot, kids are tired of each other, and they are ready for a new school year with a new group of people. At this point they are super whiny and I'm over it just as much as they are. 
  
Bringing Ollie to school was the most calm, non-whiny day we have had in a very long time. They were all so amused by him. I very easily convinced the kidlets that Ollie would get sad and cry if kids whined, tattled, yelled, fought, etc. They totally bought it and were angels the entire day. 

Plus they were quiet and actually used inside voices so Ollie could sleep.  (Seriously it was so awesome that I'm contemplating bringing an empty car seat and convincing them that there is a sleeping baby inside so that they will use nice quiet inside voices the rest of the summer.)
He looked so tiny on a preschool cot. 

My favorite two quotes of the day were:

"He's cute. Can I pet him."

I put him down for his morning nap and he fussed just a little. A girl look at him, sighed and said, "It's like the worst time of his whole life."


It was an enjoyable day and my summer camp kiddos have already been asking when Oliver gets to come back.  I hope that in a few years his real first day of preschool is as successful as this day.

No comments:

Post a Comment